Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in coaching and schedule games, practices and conditioning: Responsible to assist in planning content and organization of the overall program. (All offenses, defenses, fundamentals and techniques, game strategies, and knowledge of all aspects of the sport.) The assistant coach will also assume the responsibilities of the head coach if the head coach is unable to fulfill these duties.
- Recruit qualified Student-Athletes: Actively recruit academically and athletically talented student-athletes in accordance with the philosophy of Regis University and in strict adherence to University, NCAA and Conference regulations;
- Professional development: Must engage in professional development. Assist head coach in keeping with the current trends and developments; as well as the implementation in order to perform duties more effectively.
- Monitor and balance the team budgets: Must provide input and work cooperatively with the head coach in budgeting for and requisitioning all goods and services needed and used in her/his sport program. This includes but is not limited to supplies, equipment, apparel, team travel, recruiting, etc. Each sport must operate within the University allotted budget for operating expenses and scholarships. Any expenses in excess of the team budgets must be covered by fundraised dollars;
- Fundraise for the Program and Athletic Department: Required to fully participate in both program and department fundraising activities, fundraising events, university campaigns and special project campaigns;
- Monitor Student-Athlete’s academic performance: Responsible for monitoring the academic success of the student-athletes in her/his program. Each coach should work cooperatively with Regis University faculty to support their student-athletes’ path to graduation;
- Maintain facilities and equipment: Responsible for helping in maintaining the athletic facilities and ensuring that the appearance of the facilities is representative of the Regis University image. Each coach is responsible for purchasing equipment out of their university budget in cooperation with the Director of Athletics. She/he is also responsible for maintaining and storing the equipment for their particular sport;
- Supervise Graduate Assistants and student employees: Assist the head coach in supervising staff when appropriate. Work cooperatively with all members of the lacrosse staff.
- Promote the brand of the Athletic Department and Regis University: Should continually strive to enhance the image of the Regis University Athletics Department and its programs through inter-personal contacts with parents, visitors, university faculty/staff, and community citizens. Additionally, each coach should participate in Athletic Department and University sponsored events and initiatives;
- Service Learning: Responsible for assisting the head coach in promoting and organizing service projects for her/his team in accordance with the staff handbook. Additionally, assist the head coach in having her/his team participate in Athletic Department sponsored service projects;
- Create an atmosphere of compliance: Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing of the NCAA, the RMAC and the Regis Athletic Department. Supervise and ensure that any assistants and any other employees and/or volunteers for whom you are administratively responsible comply with the aforesaid policies, rules and regulations. Immediately advise the Regis compliance director if you have reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees, students or athletic supporters, have occurred or will occur.
The head coach is the assistant coaches’ immediate supervisor in all matters with Regis University. In order to insure a highly competitive NCAA Division II athletics program, performance of these duties will be continually evaluated and monitored.