Responsible for assisting in all aspects of establishing and maintaining a successful NCAA Division III women’s lacrosse program, providing specialized expertise in their area of concentration and to support the successful development of student-athletes both in the classroom and on the field.
• Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student athletes at Christopher Newport University; evaluate individual performances and provide leadership and instruction in areas of deficiency as needed.
• Assist with and provides the planning, organizing and coaching within the Christopher Newport University Women’s Lacrosse Program.
• Participate in the collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent teams; assist in designing game plans and strategies; analyze performance of the women’s lacrosse team and adjust strategies as needed.
• Counsels team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consults with university administration and faculty for the amelioration of academic issues and concerns for student success.
• Utilizes independent judgment and renders decisions on a daily basis regarding the women’s lacrosse program in the absence of the head coach.
• Screens and evaluates athletic qualifications of prospective recruits; coordinates with University Undergraduate Admissions Office to establish academic eligibility and arranges meetings between prospects and the University. Coordinates campus tours for visiting prospective players. Assists with new student orientation activities.
• Compile and assist in the analysis of game statistics for an assigned area of Christopher Newport University women’s lacrosse team performance. Facilitates any video exchange with opponents.
• Assist in the planning and administering of the non-traditional physical training program in accordance with NCAA regulations; providing special training for the individual women’s lacrosse team members as required.
• Studies, evaluates and implements innovations in lacrosse strategy and equipment. Coordinates purchases of lacrosse related equipment with the head coach.
• Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program to include adhering to all departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the university and the NCAA. Responsible for safety rules and regulations regarding use of equipment to reduce liability and to ensure NCAA compliance.
• Represents the Christopher Newport University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity, and alumni events. Participates in professional associations.
• Performs public relations and marketing activities to promote the athletic program; performs community relation activities.
• Coordinate coach’s clinics in accordance with NCAA regulations; supervises dress code for any support staff and all team members. Works a variety of schedules and hours consistent with the needs of the position.
• Develop and maintain very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
• This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
• Safety issues are reviewed and communicated to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
Must have a Master’s Degree in a related field or a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and work experience at a level in which equates to an advanced degree.
Previous coaching or playing experience at the university or college level.
Submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references at the link below. Review of applications will begin May 29, 2019. Applications received after May 29, 2019 will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.